Monday, February 23, 2004

everything old is new again

Le Update

Went to Mass Sunday morning, and felt totally at ease at church for the first time since I've been here. It's been a couple years since I've visited a Catholic church, so I was a little rusty. But there were so many familiar faces that I barely felt self-conscious about not knowing when to sit and kneal and stand. Also, it was perfect because I hadn't even realized that Lent started this week, and probably wouldn't have been reminded had I gone to just about any other church in town.

Next week I hope to visit the local Episcopalian church. I would stay with the Catholic one, were it not for the fact that I'm not Catholic. And there's just too many differences of opinion, especially concerning the Eucharist. I can't, in good faith, take it there. And I can't attend a church where I couldn't join in with the community in communion. I need that. I love the fact that the Eucharist is the central part of the worship service, because I really do tend to regard communion as something more than just a simple commemoration. But I can't bring myself to believe everything the Catholic church believes about the Eucharist.

So that's it for now. I had a great Sunday; something I haven't been able to say in ages. I've been thinking about a couple things to post about later this week, including (but definitely not limited to):

--some thoughts on marriage
--some differences between sub-culture and counter-culture
--some thoughts on the importance of Lent
--general moaning and complaining

Interlude

Ah, more than any priest, O soul, we too believe in God;
But with the mystery of God we dare not dally.

O soul, thou pleasest me--I thee;
Sailing these seas, or on the hills, or waking in the night,
Thoughts, silent thoughts, of Time, and Space, and Death, like waters flowing,
Bear me, indeed, as through the regions infinite,
Whose air I breathe, whose ripples hear--lave me all over;
Bathe me, O God, in thee--mounting to thee,
I and my soul to range in range of thee."

-Walt Whitman

End Interlude

End Post

No comments: