Monday, May 31, 2004

This is the one, I think, where I almost kiss God for creating eyeballs.

I spent Memorial Day in the mountains. A first for me, I'm almost certain. Been sick this past weekend, but around noon, I knew I had to get out of the apt. So I packed my backpack, grabbed a couple of books, my camera, and my guitar, then headed for the hills.

My first stop was the Snowy Mountains. It's been raining on and off for the last three weeks, so the grass is actually green! Not green green, but almost. Couldn't get all the way to the lake in my car (roads closed!), so I decided to see how my body would handle hiking. Not a good idea. After about 45 minutes I started getting dizzy, and had a hard time keeping my balance. Then it started hailing. So I headed back for my car, and read for about two hours.

Next up were the Judith Mountains, which are alot closer to Lewistown. I drove around, trying to find a road that would take me up instead of around, and found the king of all mountain roads -- the one that took me up to Judith Peak.

(This is where I stop writing, speechless....)

You could see just about the whole state. Well, maybe if the state were Delaware. But you could sure see alot. And green and snowy mountains, forests and valleys, and little tiny houses, endless plains and lumps in throats, cold hands and flip flops and Saturn cars on mountain peaks.

A good day, I think.

No comments: