Friday, April 08, 2005

John Cornyn makes a fool of himself. And I throw up on important documents.



A few days ago House majority leader Tom DeLay had a few choice words for the judges who failed to put Terri Schiavo back on her feeding tube. "The time will come for the men responsible for this to answer for their behavior." In case you missed it, that was a thinly veiled threat aimed at the judiciary, not for failing to do their job properly, but for failing to agree with Delay's opinion on the Schiavo case.

No matter what your opinion on the "right to die," it's impossible to deny that the courts did not properly execute their function. They did what they get paid to do: read massive amounts of information, hear expert testimony, take arguments from both parties, then make a well-informed decision. Most members of Congress would be hard-pressed to admit that they took the time and energy to do the same, yet they felt the need to step in anyway. Good for them.

DeLay wasn't the only Congressman making waves after the rulings. Senator John Cornyn (Tex-R) had this to say on the Senate floor.

"I don't know if there is a cause-and-effect connection but we have seen some recent episodes of courthouse violence in this country. Certainly nothing new, but we seem to have run through a spate of courthouse violence recently that's been on the news and I wonder whether there may be some connection between the perception in some quarters on some occasions where judges are making political decisions yet are unaccountable to the public, that it builds up and builds up and builds up to the point where some people engage in - engage in violence."

Yeah, that's right. Let's link my distaste for a few judges with the recent violence resulting in 3 deaths in Atlanta and the death of a judge's husband and mother in Chicago. Nevermind that the former was done by a convicted criminal in an escape attempt and the latter by a lunatic who had a lawsuit thrown out by the judge in question. No, in the face of all evidence to the contrary, I believe these judges in particular were the victims of a public outcry against all judges who let their political opinions get in the way of their rulings.

....Hey, it's Jonny again. Give me a minute while I collect my thoughts....

Okay, so yet another thinly veiled threat, this one very nearly excusing the aforementioned murders based on the recent actions of so-called "activist" judges. While DeLay's statement just seemed like misguided frustration, Cornyn's tirade on the Senate floor should have caused the entire state of Texas to call for his immediate resignation (apparently it didn't, because he's still a Senator). Excuse while I throw up on both the separation of powers and the sixth commandment.

In a related story, Conor Oberst recently had a few choice words for a Texas crowd during a Bright Eyes show: "I'd put a fucking gun to my head before I'd live in your state."

Personally, I think Conor can be a bratty-assed kid half the time. But truthfully, I'd like to take that one step further tonight and just replace "state" with "country."

Dont get me wrong, I love my country. But some days, I kind of hate it, too.

No comments: